Saturday, July 23, 2005

It's hot here!


Seoul Apartment
Originally uploaded by annamatic3000.
It's 35 degrees Celcius here (95 F) and I am eating a homemade orange juice popsicle, trying to not get the sticky juice on the computer keyboard.

It is supposed to be the rainy season in Korea, but so far it is just very very humid and hot. I can't wait for some precipitation, so that we can cool off!

Things are getting out of control in our garden. At first I was so happy to know that I wasn't killing anything (I'm not much of a green thumb). Accustomed to flowers dying under my care, I even double checked the blossoms at the side of the house to make sure they weren't actually some kind of really convincing silk flowers (but no, they're real, just really hardy). However, after 2 weeks of letting nature take her course, it's become clear: if I don't do something soon, we'll be looking out onto a small jungle.

In one week, the squash vines have shot up about 4 feet! With no more bamboo pole to climb up, they are now waving their little tendrils around looking for something else to latch onto.
If we don't eat them soon, they'll strangle us and have us for lunch. The cherry tomato vines have also run amuck, desperately hanging on to each other for support because I haven't been pruning them. And there are all sorts of new plants poking out too, leafy things of unknown provenance. Weeds, I think. I pull out the ones that don't have pretty flowers.

Umm, sooo.... anyone with gardening tips (how and where does one prune? how do you keep climbing plants from falling all over themselves? what's up with my lettuce shooting up into tall unwieldy stalks?), please write me....

This morning we had omelets with: vine-ripened cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, hot peppers and green onions, all picked from the garden yesterday. Delicious.